Where a taxpayer fails to file a return for corporation tax, income tax or capital gains tax, HMRC can estimate the tax due and issue a determination for this amount. The taxpayer is then liable to pay this amount as though it were a self-assessment.

A determination can be overturned if the taxpayer then submits an actual self-assessment tax return for the relevant period.